If you’re new to decorating your planner it may seem a little odd at first, but it’s a great creative outlet! Plus it’s functional because it’s something you can actually use on a daily basis.
So today I want to share with you 10 Happy Planner decorating tips for beginners.
If you love these tips, see more Planner Decoration Ideas to make your planner look pretty and stunning!
Part of the mission of this blog is to help people achieve their goals. And part of that includes planning. Once you’ve organized your thoughts and ideas so that you have a clear picture of what you want, then its time to plan.
You need to know what your big goals are so you can break them down step by step. Decide how long you want to work on each step then write it into your planner. Work towards finishing each step, and one by one you will make it to your big goal.
Use your planner for what it is meant to be, a system to keep your life organized. At the same time, you can also use it to be creative and decorate it so that it inspires you. All of this together will help you see the big picture and work towards making your goals a reality.
Ok, so on to the fun stuff…
- Decorate first. Decorate your pages first before you write anything down. You may want to change some things up from what’s on the page, so get everything the way you want it before you start writing. But be sure you leave room to actually write your plans down. That’s the whole point of having a planner in the first place, right?
- Stickers, stickers, and more stickers. There are so many different stickers you can use to decorate your planner. You can use any stickers you like, but the ones made by MAMBI actually fit in the boxes of the Happy Planner.
You can layer stickers, or cut them to fit inside the edges of the boxes. Add floral stickers to the edges of the pages, too.
- Change up the boxes to fit your needs. You can cover the titles in the boxes with different stickers. For instance, the dashboard layout comes with boxes that include things like errands, calls/emails, and things to buy. But if those are not things you need in your planner, just cover them up with blank stickers and write in what you want.
- Use themes for the month or week. If you’re new to decorating your planner you may not have your own style yet, and that’s ok! It will come once you’ve done it a few times. For a little design inspiration, you can try decorating using a theme for the week or month. Do a monochromatic spread using one color or a holiday spread. Check out my post on monthly theme ideas to help decorate your planner.
- Add quotes to fill up whitespace. Once you’ve set up your pages the way you like and placed your stickers, you can fill up any blank space by writing in your favorite quote, scripture, or something else that inspires you. Check out my post of over 50 motivational quotes to add to your planner.
- Add washi tape. Use thin washi tape under undated boxes, or at the bottom of pages, or to outline boxes. It fits perfectly in the spaces.
- Use Pilot Frixion erasable gel pens. These fine point pens write smoothly and show up bright on paper. AND the best part is they’re erasable! So write it over as many times as you need to. However, the ink might disappear if it gets too hot, like if you leave your planner in the car. But, if you need the information, wrap your planner in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer until the ink comes back.
- Cover up boxes you don’t need. Use the Create 365 box punch to cut out rectangles that fit perfectly into the boxes. Pick out some gorgeous scrapbook paper that matches to add a pretty touch to your spread.
- Go rogue. Create your own layouts using blank grid paper and stickers. There are so many different options from boxes, months, and numbers. Plus all the stickers you can think of to make your own layout.
- Get inspired. Get your design inspiration from other planners. Search for Happy Planner on Instagram or watch videos on YouTube to get your creativity flowing!
- Bonus! Join the Simple Modern Mom Resource Library to get access to all of our free Happy Planner printables. Grab a disc bound hole punch like this one and add any printable to your planner. Get access here!
Your planner can be whatever you want it to be! Make it personal, creative, and functional. Use these planner decorating tips to start your journey and have fun at the same time!
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Read my disclosure policy here.